Standing on top of the Hai Van Pass that separates Thua Thien-Hue Province and Da Nang City, the Hai Van Gate is about 490 meters above the sea level.
It was constructed in 1826 during the reign of King Minh Mang (1791-1841), who ordered the construction of several defensive structures along the pass to protect the imperial capital of Hue. The structures included fortifications, store houses and cannon forts.
The gate used to be dubbed as ‘pharynx’ of the Hue Imperial Citadel.
However, it stood abandoned for over 20 years until 2017, when the government recognized Hai Van Gate as a national relic, prompting authorities in Hue and Da Nang to join hands for a major renovation project.